Wrist size, large or small, is usually influenced by several things such as genetic factors, activity, to gender.
There is no way to enlarge a skinny wrist significantly.
However, you can do several types of exercise to work specific muscles and increase wrist muscle mass.
Six ways to increase wrist strength
A study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (2018) states that exercises to increase wrist size provide significant results.
This exercise also strengthens the wrist muscles, allowing hand movement while maintaining physical fitness. Here’s a guide to trying it.
1. Wrist Roll
How extend wrist muscles is very easy to do. Here are the steps to do a wrist roll.
- Sit straight and start with your palms in front of your chest so your elbows are facing out.
- Extend your arms forward while rotating your wrists so that the backs of your right and left hands meet.
- When your arms are fully extended and the backs of your hands are touching, roll your wrists so that your thumbs face your face as your elbows are bent inward.
- Continue by bending your elbows and palms on your chest as in the starting position. Repeat several times until you feel comfortable.
2. Palms Up/Palms Down
Palms up and down can help reduce wrist stiffness and build muscle mass.
This movement can also be a way to extend wrist muscles. Here’s how to do palms up and down.
- Sit straight, and spread your arms to the sides at shoulder height.
- Start with palms facing up with fingers spread wide and chest open.
- Next, turn your palms facing down, pointing your thumbs back.
- Turn your palms up and down to feel the stretch through your forearms, biceps, shoulders, and neck.
- You can do a variety of movements, such as the proper palm up and the left palm down.
3. Arm Rolls Up
Quoting to the American Council of Exercise website, increasing wrist flexibility is essential to prevent numbness and tingling.
If you often spend long hours in front of the computer, you may need to do the following simple movements.
- Start with arms outstretched in front and palms facing up.
- Flex your wrist to point your finger up.
- Next, bend your elbows and bring your fingertips to your shoulders.
- Tuck your fingers into your biceps and point your elbows toward the sky.
- You should feel this stretch from the shoulders to the fingers.
4. Wrist Curl
This wrist exercise works the muscles inside the forearm that move the palm toward the arm.
The goal is to build strength and muscle mass in your wrist.
You can exercise using dumbbells or a pair of bottles filled with equal amounts of water.
It doesn’t have to be too heavy, so it doesn’t put pressure on the wrist ligaments.
Here’s how to do a wrist curl.
- Hold two light dumbbells with your arms on your thighs and palms facing up.
- Let your hands hang past your knees and position your hands relaxed so that the weight is on your fingers.
- Grasp dumbbells, then bend your wrists until they are as close to your arms as possible.
- Pause, then slowly reverse the movement to lower the weight onto your fingers.
- Do as much as 10-15 times slowly and breathe.
5. Using a hand gripper
Using this tool can be the most effective way to extend wrist muscles.
The reason is that this tool can help enlarge the forearm muscles that control your wrist and fingers.
Below are steps to use a manual hand gripper that you can try at home.
- Place your thumb on one side of the hand gripper and the other finger on the other side.
- Firmly grip the hand gripper and hold it for 10 seconds.
- Do it slowly, do not force yourself to hold too long.
- Increase grip duration and exercise frequency according to your condition.
6. Another way to Extend wrist muscles
In addition to some hand exercise movements above, you can apply the following ways to enlarge your wrist.