Kundalini yoga requires you to perform specific movements while catching your breath and meditating. This yoga movement also aims to make the body and mind more relaxed. You can also do other things while practicing kundalini yoga, such as singing softly or muttering certain words (mantras).
Doing Kundalini yoga is believed to generate energy in the body while increasing self-awareness. That can obtain by performing specific movements that are relatively easy, even for beginners.
What are the movements in kundalini yoga?
If you have never done kundalini yoga in its entirety, you can try the following basic movements.
1. Lotus Pose
How to do the lotus pose is as follows.
- Sit up straight on the floor but not stiff, legs outstretched.
- Bend your knees outward, and point your legs towards your body as if you were going to cross-legged.
- Place your left foot on your right thigh, then place your right foot on your left thigh.
- Inhale and exhale deeply as you perform the Lotus pose unless instructed otherwise by the instructor.
Do not do this pose if you are experiencing hip problems.
2. Cobra pose
Cobra pose is a movement to activate your kundalini energy. How to do it is as follows.
- Start by lying on your stomach and feet together, and the backs of your feet pressed to the floor.
- Place your palms under your shoulders, making sure your fingers point forward and your elbows are parallel.
- Inhale, lift your head and body, then press your lower body to the floor.
- Straighten your arms, lift your chest and stomach, and lower your shoulders.
- Hold the cobra pose in this kundalini yoga for 30 seconds, and take a deep breath.
- Exhale and return to the starting position.
3. Archer Pose
The archer poses in kundalini yoga are done to increase self-confidence because it describes you as a warrior. The steps you have to do to do this pose are as follows.
- Start by standing straight and feet together.
- Rotate right leg outward about 45 degrees.
- Step back right leg, straighten the leg. Bend your left knee, but make sure it doesn’t go over the heel.
- Extend your arms to shoulder height, bend your hands, clench your palms, and point your thumbs up.
- Turn your upper body to the left, bend your right elbow simultaneously, and pull your right fist toward your right armpit.
- Look forward and take a deep breath while holding this position for 2-3 minutes.
- Do it on the other side with the left leg back and the left arm bent, then hold for another 2-3 minutes while taking a deep breath.
To be on the safe side, you can first consult a doctor and exercise under the supervision of a professional instructor.
Benefits of doing kundalini yoga
Like yoga in general, kundalini yoga is a good exercise for body fitness and peace of mind. Here are the benefits that you can feel by doing kundalini yoga.
1. Relieve stress
Doing yoga at home regularly for at least 20 minutes per day relieves stress. You don’t even need to practice the moves perfectly. The important thing is to do it regularly and seriously.
2. Increase positive thoughts
Research shows that kundalini yoga movements can also increase positive reviews, including yourself. If you often see your body shape is not ideal, try practicing kundalini yoga.
3. Gain spiritual enlightenment
When the energy in the body has been activated through kundalini yoga, you will feel a significant change in your inner aura. You will become more empathetic, charismatic, creative, and at peace with yourself.