Have you tried to sleep but still have trouble breathing? Take it easy. There are various breathing techniques that you can do before bed. You can also do it when you wake up in the middle of the night to make it easier to fall back asleep.
Curious about what these techniques are? Here are options you can try starting tonight:
Breathing techniques for better sleep
1. Breathing technique 4-7-8
How to do the 4-7-8 breathing technique, namely:
- Open your mouth while doing this technique.
- Exhale deeply while making slow exhalations.
- Inhale slowly through your nose for a count of 4, pressing your upper and lower lips together.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7, then exhale again for a count of 8 while exhaling a long sigh.
- Repeat the same thing eight times.
2. Three-part breathing technique
Many people like breathing techniques to support this one deep sleep position because it is the simplest. Here are the steps to do it:
Sit upright, then take a long, deep breath through your nose.
Once it feels maximal, exhale slowly while focusing on yourself and your mind to feel more comfortable.
Repeat the same thing 5-8 times.
It would be better to close your eyes during this three-part breathing technique. The goal is that your mind can be more focused during inhaling and exhaling.
3. Alternate nasal breathing technique
- Sit with the body upright and legs crossed.
- Place your left hand in an upturned position on the left thigh while the fingers of your right hand are on the right nostril.
- Exhale completely, then close the right nostril.
- Inhale deeply through the left nostril that is still open.
- Repeat the same on the left nostril, with the right hand looking up at the right thigh.
- Do this activity for 5 minutes.