Having the ideal shoulder can be obtained by doing practical shoulder exercises regularly. Broad and straight shoulders can support a person’s appearance to look more charming. The shoulder muscles that are formed can also make every outfit you wear look more attractive.
Practical shoulder exercises will help build muscle in this area. Men and women can also do exercises to build shoulder muscles to have an ideal body posture.
Top 10 Shoulder exercises
You can do many activities to shape the shoulders. You can choose several movements for the most suitable and easy shoulder muscle exercise.
1. Incline push up
One of the most common shoulder exercises is pushups. Pushups train the chest muscles and the deltoid muscles located in the shoulders. Incline pushup is a pushup exercise using a higher surface such as a bench or table as support for hands.
Here’s how to do incline pushups as a shoulder exercise:
- Place your palms on the bench with your arms shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the body straight from head to toe.
- Lower your chest toward the bar by bending your elbows to form 45 degrees.
- Continue to lower the trunk as low as possible while maintaining a degree angle at the elbows.
- Finally, push until your chest lifts back up and repeat 8 to 10 repetitions.
The halo is a shoulder exercise that requires dumbbells as equipment. Here’s how to do it:
- First, start by kneeling on a mat or other mat with a soft surface.
- Open your knees slightly wider than your hips while holding dumbbells with both hands directly in front of your chest. Position your elbows at the sides, pointing downwards.
- While keeping both elbows bent, make circular motions while bringing dumbbells around your head and back.
- Complete ten reps in each direction (left and right) for one set.
- Do three sets of the shoulder halo exercise.
3. Overhead press
It is a shoulder exercise by lifting your arms straight up over your head carrying weights. You can use a barbell or dumbbells. Keep your back straight when lifting weights. Make sure the weight used does not exceed your ability to reduce the risk of injury.
4. Banded pull apart
You can also try the banded power apart exercise to train your shoulder muscles. Here’s how to do it:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart while arms extended in front of the body and raised to shoulder height.
- Grasp the resistance band with both hands with your fists facing the floor.
- Perform the movement by engaging the core muscles, firmly pulling the resistance band away until it is more than shoulder-width apart, and then relaxing.
- Do as many as ten reps for 1 set and repeat up to three sets.
5. Mountain climbers
You can start shoulder exercises with mountain climbers with a high plank position, where the hands are directly under the shoulders, and the body must form a straight line from head to heels.
After that, move your knees towards your chest one at a time while keeping your back straight. Go as fast as you can while keeping your body in shape. Complete 15-20 reps on both sides of the leg alternately.
6. Inverted pushups
Here are the steps for doing shoulder exercises with inverted pushups:
- Adjust the body’s position to be shaped like an inverted V.
- Lift your hips and head down with your hands pressing into the floor.
- Slowly bend your elbows wide to lower your head to the floor.
- Use pressure on your palms to lift your head back to its original position. Do this shoulder exercise for ten repetitions.
7. Front rise
To train the shoulder muscles, you can do front-rise exercises using dumbbells. The trick is to stand up straight and position both hands beside the body while holding dumbbells. Then, raise your arms straight before you, then lower them back to your sides. Do this shoulder exercise 10 times.
8. Bent-over rear delt fly
To train your shoulders using this move, here’s how you can follow:
- Stand straight with feet shoulder-width apart, and knees slightly bent.
- Then bend forward until your back is flat with your hips and your upper body parallel to the floor.
- Hands extended straight down while holding a pair of dumbbells.
- Bend your elbows slightly and stretch your arms up while tightening your shoulder blades.
- Gently lower the arm back down.
- Repeat ten reps for sets and do three sets.
9. Lateral raise
You can do the lateral raise exercise to train the shoulder muscles, a simple classic movement. Here are the steps:
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Both hands beside the body grip the dumbbells.
- Raise your arms to the sides with your elbows slightly bent, and lower them down.
10. Upright rows
It is a simple shoulder exercise that you can do with the help of two weights or dumbbells. You have to stand straight with your feet slightly wider than your shoulders.
Then, lift both hands that hold the weight up to the front of the chest with the elbow bent. Try to keep the distance between the weight and chest as close as possible.
That are ten functional shoulder exercises to build shoulder muscles. When using weights such as dumbbells, make sure you can handle the weight well. Warm-up and stretch first, and stop the exercise if any part of your body hurts.