The development of a 2-year-old toddler includes various aspects. Parents need to support the growth and development of their little one so that it runs optimally. Being funny and the developmental moment of a 2-year-old toddler is also an important period. Children generally show growth and development in various aspects, ranging from physical, motor, emotional and social to speaking.
The child’s character also begins to form and develop into himself. Not infrequently, at this age, they often imitate their parents’ habits, ranging from movements, ways of speaking, habits, and others.
The ideal development of a 2-year-old toddler
In developing a 2-year-old toddler, there are several skills that parents must pay attention to. The following is a 2-year-old toddler’s growth and development based on several aspects.
1. Physical development of a 2-year-old toddler
Physical development includes weight and height. A 2-year-old baby generally gains 1.4 kilograms to 2.3 kilograms in a year.
For height, a boy aged two years should ideally have a height of about 82.5-93.3 cm. Meanwhile, girls will have a height of about 80-91.4 cm.
2. Motor development of a 2-year-old toddler
In terms of movement skills, the development of a 2-year-old toddler can be shown by:
- Kicking the ball
- Stand up
- Go up and down stairs while holding on
- Throw the ball
- Bring a large toy
- Doodling carelessly
- Turn the container over and pour the contents
- Arrange four or more blocks.
Naturally, a 2-year-old toddler will improve motor skills by playing, running, climbing, jumping, etc.
Therefore, you should accompany children to play outside the house to maximize their movement skills.
3. Cognitive development of a 2-year-old toddler
The development of a 2-year-old toddler in cognitive aspects includes his ability to learn, think, and solve problems.
This development can be seen in various activities or daily activities of children, such as:
- Get to know shapes and colors
- Find hidden objects
- Start to pretend play, such as feeding a baby doll
- Selecting a picture in the book
- Can match shapes
- Able to carry out two instructions at almost the same time. For example, “Drink milk first, then you can play again.”
- Counting skills for toddlers aged two years also begin to develop. Begin to introduce the numbers 1-5 first, then 6-10.
4. Emotional and social development of toddlers aged two years
Social skills included in the development of toddlers aged two years are:
- Shows an attitude of independence
- Enjoys playing with other children
- Likes to imitate parents
- You can refuse if you don’t want to
- Pays attention when other people are upset or sad, such as looking sad when someone is crying
- Look into your face to see how to react in new situations
- Notifies when the diaper is full or needs to go to the bathroom
- Fear of certain things, such as loud noises, animals, or others.
Not only that, but tantrums are also part of the emotional development of a 2-year-old toddler.
At this age, tantrums are common as a way for children to see the extent to which boundaries apply to them.
However, toddlers aged two years generally do not know the concept of sharing. So if they don’t want to share toys, this is perfectly normal.
5. Language development of toddlers aged two years
Furthermore, the development of an ideal 2-year-old child can be seen in his language skills. Children at this age should be able to:
- Says the name of the object
- Recognizing the names of family members
- Say simple phrases
- Say sentences with 2-4 words
- Repeats words heard in conversation
- Perform simple commands
- Imitating the words of others.
However, you don’t have to worry if your child has not mastered some of these skills. This is because the speech development of a 2-year-old toddler is generally different.
In addition, boys tend to start speaking more slowly than girls.
You can talk to him often, read a book, or tell him bedtime stories.
Has your child shown signs of development of a 2-year-old toddler as above? Hopefully, they can grow and develop optimally.
2-year-old developmental delay
The development speed of toddlers aged two years may differ for each individual. However, some signs can indicate developmental delays.
Consult a doctor if your child shows any of the following:
- They can’t run or always walk on tiptoe
- They can’t speak yet or only makes vowels without consonants
- Does not express emotions, for example, happy or sad, in response to other people
- Rarely make eye contact
- Unable to follow simple instructions
- Do not imitate the actions or words of those around him
- they can’t remember the skills he used to have.
The doctor will conduct further examination of the child’s condition and detect possible problems that may occur.
Tips for supporting the development of 2-year-olds
The process of learning and playing for a 2-year-old toddler is important. For that, parents need to balance these two things.
In supporting the growth and development of toddlers aged two years, here are the steps you can take.
- Provide children with healthy and nutritionally balanced food
- Inviting children to play actively, for example, running in the yard, playing with blocks, or throwing a ball
- Shows affection and attention to children
- Ensuring children get enough sleep
- Encourage children to do everyday skills, such as using a spoon or putting on their own shoes.
- It gives children the opportunity to play with other children
- Tells children about object names
- Reading fairy tales to children
- Limit screen time, such as television or cellphones.